Our editors have used and adequately researched the products reviewed in our articles.
Please note that we earn a little commission for any products purchased via our links on Amazon, and this is at no extra cost to you.
The use of a blender is rapidly increasing every day. Blenders have been designed to serve various purposes apart from just blending fruits and vegetables.
Blenders are solely meant to save you enough time in the kitchen. With blenders, you can liquidize soaps, mix cakes and pancake batters, make various sauces and smoothies.
Some also use blenders to make milkshakes. In general, a blender is a tool that you cannot do without as a cook or someone who uses the kitchen often.
The blender is a widely used tool, but sometimes there could be issues with the use of blenders. One major issue that arises is in the cleaning of blenders.
For a blender to last long, it must be properly cleaned and maintained. Cleaning a blender takes some time and effort. Food particles may get stuck under the blade or around it, and this may make it hard to clean the blender properly.
Due to this difficulty in getting some stuck food particles out, some persons may just abandon their blender, leaving it dirty with evidence of previous blended dishes.
The truth remains that sometimes, blenders are difficult to clean that some people may just want to stick them into the dishwasher but the question is this, is it safe to do that?
Can you put a blender in the dishwasher?
There are parts of the blender that you can comfortably put in a dishwasher. These parts cannot be damaged by water. They include the jar and the jar lid.
If you have used your blender to blend, you can simply put the jar into the dishwasher without fear of getting it damaged. The blender base is not fit for dishwasher, so do not wash it there.
The base of the blender works like a housing, containing all the electrical components of the blender, and all the support switches.
These electrical components can be damaged by water and care should be taken when handling them. Since they are resistant to water, they should not be put into the dishwasher.
If they cannot be put into the dishwasher, how then do you go about cleaning the base of blenders?
The base of blenders can simply be clean by dipping a cloth in soapy water and then squeezing out the water to make it damp.
The damp cloth can then be used to rub the surface of the base gently until it is clean. For hard and dried food particles on the surface, you can use a sponge to scrape them off gently and ensure that you dry the surface of the base after cleaning
Base of a blender
For the blender jar and jar lid, there are other ways to clean them too apart from putting them in the dishwasher.
These methods have also proven to be effective when it comes to keeping your blenders clean. One thing you have to know as a cook or someone who uses a blender always is that cleaning the blender immediately after use makes it easier to remove the food particles.
This is because, leaving them for a while may make the food substances on them dry up and some may become sticky, requiring extra effort to remove from the blenders.
Some food substances may decay and produce offensive odour and depending on the material that the blender jar is made of, it may tend to absorb the odour which will affect subsequent blends.
In order to avoid these things from happening, it is advisable to clean your blender immediately after use. The methods below also provide a quick and efficient way of cleaning the blender.
After using your blender, you can simply rinse it under the tap. You can pour a cup of hot water and your liquid soap into the jar. Cover it with the lid and turn the blender on.
Allow it to run for some minutes. You can then rinse the blender. These methods will help to remove every food substances that had been stuck in it, including those that have been stuck in the blades of the blender.
Although this method proves to be effective, you also need to check the blender from time to time to be sure that all the food particles were thoroughly washed off. Some food substances may get stuck under the blade and may be difficult to remove.
You can also prepare your own special solutions that you can use to clean your blender effectively. The old trick suggests a mixture of baking soda and water, as this has shown to effectively remove pieces of food substances and as well eliminate the odour that may come with the food substances that have been previously blended.
To clean blenders properly, it is also necessary that you separate the blender parts so that you can clean the blade, gasket ring and the jar thoroughly.
Before you do this, you have to ensure that the blender is unplugged. Unscrew the jar from the base and then remove the lid from the jar. You should also remove the base of the jar and then remove the gasket ring and the blade.
After removing everything, wash them separately using warm soapy water and a sponge or rag.
When washing, do not use a hard sponge or harsh substances that may damage them. You can then go ahead and rinse them after washing.
To use the dishwasher, as stated earlier, you can wash every part of the blender in the dishwasher apart from the base of the blender.
This means that when you separate the blender into different parts, you can wash the jar, jar lid, the jar base, the gasket and the blade can be put into a dishwasher and washed thoroughly there too.
You can then dry them, clean the blender base and reassemble the blender parts.
Even though putting a blender jar and lid in the dishwasher seems to be a stress-free and easy way of washing the blender,it should be noted that there are some disadvantages that arise when putting the blender in a dishwasher.
Disadvantages of washing a blender in the dishwasher
As already stated earlier, the base of the blender should not be put in a dishwasher. The presence of water may damage the electrical components of the blender. Other disadvantages include;
- Putting the blender in a dishwasher could ruin the gasket ring of the blender.
If the gasket ring is continually washed at high temperatures, it could degrade the rubber.
- If the blades of a blender are put in a dishwasher, care should be taken because they can get damaged if they bang against other dishes in the dishwasher.
- If the blender jar is made of glass, putting it in the dishwasher together with other kitchen utensils may make these materials to bang against each other and the blender jar could break or it may become scratched.
- If the blades of the blender are continually washed in the dishwasher, they may tend to become dull after some time.
Note the following:
If your blender is declared dishwasher safe, then it means that it is safe to put it in a dishwasher, but you should note the following while putting your blender in a dishwasher.
The bottom rack of a dishwasher is always hot. This is because it is closer to the heating element of the dishwasher. This means that the water at the bottom of the dishwasher is hotter than that at the top.
High temperatures could damage the rubber on the gasket and could also spoil some parts of the blender. If you want to prolong the life of your blender, then do not put them in the last part of the dishwasher.
You can place them at the top. This means that you can place cutlery, bowls and plates at the bottom of the dishwasher and then place your blender at the top of the dishwasher.
This will help prolong the life of your blender since the water at the top of the dishwasher is cooler than that at the bottom of the dishwasher.
Tips on how to maintain your blender
For your blender to last long and serve its required purpose, it should be properly maintained and taken care of. There are some things that you should have in mind if you want to maintain your blender. These tips include;
- Ensure that you read the manufacturer’s manual of your blender before you use it. The manufacturers manual gives you the rules guiding the use of your blender. It shows you the step by step methods of operating your blender, special cleaning suggestions and how to maintain the brand and model of the blender that you have bought.
- Always rinse your blender jar thoroughly after every use. Rinsing the blender jar with warm water after every use will prevent food substances from sticking to it. This helps to keep your blender clean and working for a long period of time. You can also go ahead to wash it immediately after use, and clean the base of the blender to prevent ut from being stained by the food particles that may have spilt on it while you were blending.
- When blending, always start from a low speed and then move to a higher speed. Blending from low speed to high speed will prevent your blender from breaking down. You can also pour in liquids, like water into the jar before you put in the solids that you want to blend. This will help to reduce the pressure on the blades and will enhance your blending. With this, your blades will not be overworked and the motor of the blender will keep functioning properly.
- If you want to blend food that is hot, it is advisable to allow it to cool for some minutes. Putting a food that is hot into the blender can affect not just only the blender, but it can affect you too. High temperatures can wear down the blades of the blender and some other parts too. Putting the hot food into the blender will damage these parts.
Moreover, there could be cases of food substances splattering from the blender. If you pout in food substances that are too hot into the blender, there could be painful burns if it accidentally splashes on you. Also if your blender jar has a lid, always open the lid after blending and keep your self away from facing it to avoid getting painful splats too in the eye.
- Do not place utensils inside the blender when the motor is running. Putting hard utensils like spoon inside the blender while it is working may lead to damage of the blades or even the motor. Also, the food products that you are blending could splatter around the walls of the kitchen and the surface of the counter. It is best to turn off the blender before inserting any utensil inside it. Always inspect the blenders cord before you use it. If there is any damaged part on the cord, fix it before using the blender. It could be very dangerous to use a blender whose cord is damaged as this may lead to fire or even electrocution.
- When blending thick foods, do not let the blender motor run consecutively for a long time. You could just let it tun for a minute or two. Then switch it off, allow it to rest for some minutes and then continue blending again. Allowing the blender run for longer than two minutes could lead to overheating. When the blender keeps overheating, it could become damaged.
All these tips will make your blender last longer. Proper care of a blender is important and necessary for every cook and anyone who loves using the blender to prepare several dishes.
Got any questions, you can leave them in the comments section.